Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Super Post

Since I didn't post last week I'm actually doing this over the Tapeworm is in and Make That A Double too. Both of these essays are a continuation of Sedaris's life in France and his struggle to learn the language. In the Tape Worm Is In Sedaris tells about one of Sedaris's hobbies, listening to books and other things on tape. Among his hobbies, as we later find out, are crosswords and watching a bunch of movies. He takes all three of these things to what some people would call an extreme. After reading about his time spent in France, it's safe to say he has a fair amount of free time. What do you think of how Sedaris chooses to keep himself entertained? I personally found the part about how he listened to a Pocket Medical French cassette pretty funny. What do you think of Sedaris's ability to make relatively ordinary situations, and some that are not, sound humorous?

Make That A Double is a very short essay about Sedaris's struggle with learning the gender of each noun. I'm in my fourth year of Spanish right now so I can relate to his opinions on this. It dosen't bother me like it does Sedaris, but then again I'm not living in France, I've always found it very strange. I'm sure there are plenty of things in the English language that seem messed up to people trying to learn it, assigning a sex to each noun is definately the strangest thing about the language in my opinion.

The final two essays were the Late Show and I'll Eat What He's Wearing. I really enjoyed I'll Eat What He's Wearing. Although it seemed like an odd choice to end the book with, I thought it was a good idea. What is everyone's opinions on David Sedaris's decision to finish the book with this essay? Do you think that there was any meaning behind this or did he just want to end the book with a funny essay?

What does everyone think about Sedaris's shows that he puts on in his mind while he's in bed? There really isn't a whole lot else to say about this one besides it was fun to read.

Back to I'll Eat What he's wearing, I personally enjoyed all of it. Sedaris's dad is hilarious. Does anyone know anyone like this that is not facing starvation? I've heard of people hording material possessions but doing this with food is new to me? I especially liked how he would hide it through out the house. My favorite one was how he brought a shriveled up banana all the way to Paris after hiding it under the bathroom sink. What really made the story was how he ate it and offered half of it to Sedaris. Outside of the essay about the giant turd, this one was my favorite one.

Speaking of the giant turd, on one of my posts I posted on the wrong essays. Therefor we never had a discussion of the essay called Big Boy. I couldn't resist talking about this one. I mean it came out of no where. I was caught completely off guard. Once again how David Sedaris describes the situation to us and the image he is able to create in your mind is what makes it funny. My favorite part was when he starts talking to the turd telling it shoo. What is every one's opinions on the log Sedaris finds in the toilet? How would you have handled the situation? Are there any other comments that someone would like to make on this?

Now that we have finsihed the book, what are everyone's opinions on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment