Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Screw Crosswords

The reading assignment that coinsides with this post are the essays Remebering my Childhood on the Continent of Africa and 21 Down. These pair of essays don't really have anything to do with one another. One is about his boyfriends childhood while he lived in africa and the other is about sedaris obsession with crossword puzzles. The Africa essay is by far the longer of the two and in my opinion is more relevant to painting a broad picture of sedaris current life. 21 Down is just a rant on how he wants to be good at cross words and how he has been training for years to get good at it.

My Childhood on the Continent of Africa was in my opinion really good. The part of the essay where he talked about his boyfriend hugh seeing a dead man dangling from a light post while he waited for his dad to pick him up after a movie kinda shook me up. The other people that saw it seemed so jaded, and just went on with their lives discussing the movie that they had just watched. How did this part effect you guys? Were you as taken aback as I was?

21 Down was a chore for me. I personally hate crosswords, and to read about someone else loving them just made me go insane. There is nothing worse than a teacher giving out a cross word for points, that you end up just bullshiting because you know they dont check for accuracy. Imagine doing crosswords on your OWN time and having to PAY for them. Do you guys share my hatred for crosswords as well or am I alone on this one?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I fucking hate cross words. If a teacher gives me one as an assignment, I just throw it away, I don't care. I can do without the ten points. Word finds too, I hate them even more actually. And anyone who was born after the year 1910 who finds pleasure in doing those types of things needs to wake the hell up.

    The Africa one was nice too, I really liked it. Its funny how he used that guy's stories to make up for the embarrassment that is his shitty life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I don't really have an opinion on crosswords. I don't really like them in particular but i don't i hate them like you guys. Anyways, both these were a chore to get through for me. I had to skim the Africa one because I just couldn't bring myself to read it. The crossword was just kinda bland but it was short enough to the point where it didn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The essay Remembering my Childhood on the Continent of Africa was really good. His boyfriend had a pretty intresting life and I enjoyed reading about it. It made me want to become an ambassador in a country like this. It sounds like it could be fun. What does anyone else think?

    Although I don't really mind doing crosswords as a school assignment, I would never do one in my free time. This guy just seems desperate to kill time. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete