Monday, November 2, 2009

great title here

The first of the two I'll be discussing here is "City of Light in the Dark." This guy really likes his movies I guess, seven movies in one week? This guy takes everything he does too far I think. And he knows very well that he's doing it too. He kind of reminds me of Toby in This Boy's Life, how he could almost literally feel himself being compelled to not to something wrong, but his sheer immaturity got the better of him. Sedaris kind of seems like that kind of guy.

Again, I found myself relating to his experiences in the second essay, "I Pledge Allegiance to the Bag." Whenever I go back overseas, I get confronted with a series of questions, all related to how life is in America. The line where he said if you were depressed or something that it was normal, but if you weren't, than you used Prozac, cracked me the hell up. Simply because it's true. Outside of this country, people have a certain stereotypical image for the way Americans do EVERYTHING.

And considering that this guy isn't exactly, Captain America so to speak, it's really weird how he was always required to defend the cultures of his country. Even though, most of them I'm willing to bet, he was strongly against. Which is why he probably left in the first place. But hey, what do you guys think?

4 comments:

  1. Captain America, ahaaahah. At the end when he is going to explain how some hot shot actress has to cary around a bag of dog shit was just epic. Americans pick their dogs shit up, the french dont, idk what does that say? I think he should have never left new york. nest pas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this guys personality is pretty obsessive. He takes everything to max. Going to see Seven movies a week is a little over the top. I kinda agree with him on the whole being quiet when you're at a movie thing. I hate when people are always asking me shit when I'm trying to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who talk during movies can brun in hell! Yeah, this guy takes things over the top. This guy is got it pretty good in France though. I'm pretty sure he dosen't have to work and he goes to watch movies everyday. I'd gladly trade places with him anyday.

    Sedaris says that he is embarassed of his bad French and this keeps him from going out. While I can understand this, it's still kind of sad.

    I've never traveled outside the country and I found it intresting what Sedaris and Obi said about people in other countries with reactions and steryotypes of Americans. I can't really say I'm surprised by this, but still thought it was intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea i couldnt believe this guy when to so many movies. i can barely go to seven movies in a year haha. i did find it interesting thought how the movie was played in english and had french subtitles in france. why not just dub it over into french?

    It was also amusing to read about the people asking him all these questions about america and having stereo types. when i was in spain it was the same way. whenever i would attempt to talk to someone they would always bring up the US.

    ReplyDelete